Yeah alright I’m bigging myself up a bit too much in the title (or, y’know, not enough in my humble opinion, but whatevs).
But my nachos are world-class, I’ll be honest. They are sexy and insane and dirty and delicious and mood-changing and once I sat in my pants in my Leytonstone studio flat after a particularly tough Tuesday at work and ate an entire two-person tray of them.
I have no regrets.
We used to make a lot of nachos when everyone first did that awkward thing of moving home from uni, tails between legs, like hi, I can’t get a graduate job, can I come home for a bit and find my feet?
And slowly, over time, they’ve evolved into something I’m pretty proud of. I mean, I’d say I’m probably more proud of my nachos than my blog or my cat parenting.
There’s nothing overly ground-breaking about them – it’s more about using the exact ingredients and nailing the two-layer technique.
No YOU take making nachos too seriously.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAIN MEAL FOR TWO PEOPLE
–Preheat oven to about 180 degrees, and then get yourself a nice semi-shallow dish like the sort you’d use for a pasta bake.
-Layer half your tortilla chips over the bottom of your dish.
– Layer half your salsa on top of the chips.
– Grate your cheddar (ready-grated isn’t even close to being the same) and layer half of this over the salsa.
– Repeat with leftover chips, salsa and cheese.
– Top with slices of chorizo and hefty scattering of jalapenos.
– Heat in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until cheese on top layer is starting to crisp up.
– Serve with sour cream, guacamole, refried beans and hot sauce.
Things to note: those squeezy Old El Paso bottles of guac and sour cream are wrong, SO wrong, do not use them. Doritos WILL work, but ideally you want the tortilla chips from the basic range. If you scrimp on cheese or salsa things will go very, very badly for you.
There’s no neat or polite way to eat these. You just got to dive in mucky paws first and try and score all the extra sexy slices with oozy cheese AND a chorizo slice on. OH BOY. Food porn to the absolute extreme.