I bloomin’ love a good perspective-changing quote, me.
I remember back in year 10, myself and a gal pal dedicated an entire summer holiday afternoon to finding the best quotes the internet had to offer, and, after changing our MSN screen names to show off our faves ones, printed off FOUR sides of A4 worth of quotes ready for a rainy day.
I remember them all being in a purple font. I remember them also mentioning a lot of rainbows and storms. And boys. About 72% of them were about crying about boys. Which, well, is cute and that when you’ve never even had a boyfriend for longer than a week because they’re all breaking up with you because you’re boring and don’t fancy lunch break snogs up the field.
Aha, love you past Hannah.
But I kept those quotes folded up and hidden inside my diary until they were ratty and in several pieces. They really did save me through many a teenage cry-a-thon.
Anyway, here’s me doing that all over again. ‘Cept like the 2015 version. No MSN screen name, but maybe I’ll Instagram one, because there’s nothing the Instagram community loves as much as avocado and poached eggs than a good ‘ol quote.
We’re an easily pleased bunch.
Now read these and prepare to feel instantly like yeah, maybe just maybe, you got this. You got today and maybe the day after that. YOU GO GAL.
Oh and one last thing. Read ’em slowly and take time to mull them over because otherwise nah.
1. I think we like to complicate things when it is really quite simple; find what it is that makes you happy and who it is that makes you happy and you’re set. Promise.
2. One day the people who didn’t believe in you will tell people how they met you.
3. Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming….. WOO HOO…. What a RIDE!
4. The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
5. Trust me. You know if or when you’re doing something wrong. That little tingling feeling in your mind is your conscience telling you what the better choice is. Don’t ever neglect those little inklings- you’ll soon realise that they can save you from yourself.
6. Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
7. Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.
8. Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare the lists. Adjust accordingly.
9. Never blame any day in your life. Good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience and worst days give you a lesson.
10. The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on this planet.
11. The best part is when you self-reflect. Don’t charge through your life without taking the time to reflect on yourself and examine your life. You never know what your strengths and weaknesses are until you truly understand yourself.
12. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
13. Let go of your past and focus on your future. Some people are meant to come into your life to make you realize that you deserve better. Don’t cling to an idea or be anchored by your demons.
14. Sometimes your people circle decreases in size but increases in value.
15. Spending today complaining about yesterday won’t make tomorrow any better.
16. Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
17. Once you’ve made the decision to move on, don’t look back. You will never find your future happiness in the rearview.
18. Don’t wish away your days waiting for better ones ahead.
19. Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go.
20. Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes you, let it. Nobody said it’d be easy. They just promised that it would be worth it.
21. What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realised it sooner.